So last week we
were out knocking on a street and I my eye kept being drawn to an orange
fence. I thought it was just the color, but as we were getting ready
to leave the street we had the opportunity to talk with the man that
lives there, I call him Marlin. He was super interested in learning and
took two Books of Mormon. One in Spanish for him and his wife and the
other in English for his son.
- I will take a minute here to answer Dad's question. I do get to
use Spanish quite a bit, though I use a lot of English as well. In
some families the Grandparents speak only Spanish, the parents speak a
mix and the children speak purely English, so depending on where we are
we give lessons in both.-
We set up a return appointment that they had to cancel, but we
finally got to visit them on Saturday and what an incredible lesson.
Both Marlin and Claire (the parents) really just want to know how to
raise their son, Nemo (sorry about my cheesy names). The were thrilled
to find out about young mens. At the end of the lesson we invited them
to church and they told us they have to work Sundays, like so many here,
but they were going to talk to their boss and see if they could get
their schedule changed. We did not prompt them to take this step. I
must have looked ridiculous I was smiling so big. The closing prayer
was given by Marlin and it was precious and humbling. He asked for help
in getting his Sunday schedule changed. They invited us back for next
week and told us that they would be making us dinner, we were thrilled.
They are so kind and so welcoming. Their love and acceptance of all
is evident. They kept thanking us for talking to them. Oh another
thing we were thrilled about was when Claire said she wanted to learn
how to read the scriptures. I was crying on my bike ride home that
night. It was such a beautiful experience.
Saturday we also had the opportunity to participate in
Stake Youth Conference. We went on splits with the youth and took them
out. The picture is one of my companions and I and the girls that week
took out. We were able to return to our area so I took my sister to
check in on some investigators, then I thought that we should go see
one of our previous investigators, Duro (he admits it), that had dropped
us on Thursday. We had a wonderful conversation and he agreed to meet
again on Sunday. I am learning to be so patient when I teach him. It
is interesting to see the contrast between him and the Esperanza
family. He wants to turn his life around, he has had many problems, but
he won't do the things we ask. He says we are going to fast, but we
are being to understand him better and better. Like I said it is a
trial of patience but it is good and I can see him changing, I can see
light gradually, very gradually, coming into his life.
This was last Preparation Day. We went to the mall in Santa Clarita. It is a completely different world up there.
Also last Monday. We went to the park as a zone. The Elder on the slack line is Elder Linford and the Other is Elder Bowman.
Our bikes locked up so we could visit with Duro
Our Zone leaders' car is the one in the middle
There is random furniture all along the side walks. Bed bugs.
I found a friend in the Laundry Mat this morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment