Monday, April 28, 2014

April 28, 2014 - A String of Thoughts

hmmm.............  This is me staring at a computer screen for 30 minutes not sure of what to tell all of you.
 
This serving a mission thing sure is not easy and many times I wouldn't even call it enjoyable, but it is exciting and fulfilling and some days a whole ton of fun, but most importantly it is worth it.  The good moments, though they may be few, make up for the bad ones and I am learning what it means to be "[given] strength, that [I] should suffer no manner of afflictions, save it [be] swallowed up in the joy of Christ."  Each day is better than the last and faster.  I have less than 8 months left and I cannot explain to you how terrifying that is.  As each new week flies by I find myself asking, "Where has all my time gone?"  A mission is a small fraction of a life time and it ends sooner then one would expect. 
 My first three transfers (6 weeks each) in the field were agony, I felt like each week was never ending.  I hated the work, I felt constrained by the rules and I was annoyed that no one seemed to understand what I was saying (in English or Spanish).  What a change I have seen.  I love the work and I love the people more than I ever thought possible.  I have seen miracle after miracle.  I have seen lives and souls saved by the grace of God.  I have met the humblest and the proudest of folks and have felt God's love for them all.  It continues to hard.  
Some days I still feel trapped in this city, the buildings and streets and noise surround me on all sides, but I am able to find the peace in it all.  I can escape into my scriptures and with my prayers the noise seems to be drowned out.  I still get rejected, a lot, but rejection doesn't effect me as it did before, it is forgotten because of the love that I have been given for these people. 
 
 I am still not perfect, big surprise, but I am learning to work with my imperfections and trying to improve each day.  I can honestly say now that I love being a missionary!  
 
There are times when that is not true, sure but they are getting fewer and fewer.  I love being a missionary and know that I am so lucky to be where I am. 
 
 So to those of you getting ready to head out on your missions: I'm really sorry if it sucks for the first little while, in my experience that is just the way it is, but hold on, just hold on.  I promise that it will get better.  There are brighter days ahead and our Heavenly Father will give you just what you need to overcome.  I love you and so does our Heavenly Father and by his love you will accomplish amazing things.  I promise you that it will all be worth it in the end!  To those of you just going through a rough time in life I can promise the same.  This time we have here is such a small portion of the eternities and God promises that we will find joy here.  The joy will come, the relief will come, I don't know when but it will come.  Just remember that your Heavenly Father loves you.
 
 
pictures:
I felt so special this week!  We went and cleaned the LA river and even got to wear the Mormon Helping Hands Vests, and mine was in Spanish! 
 

I also got to climb a tree :)
 
and run across a river!


No comments:

Post a Comment