Friday, April 26, 2013

Be not afraid, only BELIEVE


This note is an attempt to explain why I feel so strongly about my decision to serve. I got the idea from a friend and though mine will be nowhere near as elegant as his, which makes me cry every time I read it, I do hope it will act as a motivation to me when times get rough and as an explanation to others who may read it. I will start this with a story I believe made my decision for me.

It begins toward the end of eighth grade. I was a good student and a happy person, but then, for reasons I still have not entirely figured out, I fell and I fell hard. Depression set in and tortured me for the next two years. During this time I wanted nothing more than to leave this life and all of its troubles behind. I pleaded for relief and release, but God in His infinite wisdom and mercy did not grant me my desire. Unlike me He knew I had much more to do here. Through it all my Father gave me amazing friends, showed me love and carried me through the dark so I could make it. He gave me what I needed to keep going even though I did not want it. God saved my life so I know He has something planned for me, a work I must perform, a reason to live. This is my foremost reason for serving, to try and repay my God for the blessing of my life with the souls of his children who have yet to hear His word.

I did not make this decision so I could take two years off of school or postpone getting a job, those are just things that will happen as a result of my decision. I am going for the adventure, the pain, the sorrow, the joy. I am going for the life I may touch, for the heart I may soften. I am going because I want so badly to share what I have; all the blessings, comfort, guidance and bliss that come with a Christ centered life. When I feel pain because of those I've left behind I will think of the smiles we have shared and know we will be reunited once again. But I cannot dwell on what is to come and what has passed, for then I will have no time to focus on those who I am trying to serve in the present.  I will try follow the counsel found in 3 Nephi 13:33-34, "seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness…Take therefore no thought for the morrow, for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself.”  I want to live in the moment and pay attention to the little things because “by small and simple means are great things brought to pass.” I will learn to take the good with the bad for one cannot know true joy unless they have first felt pain. It will never be easy but I should leap at the challenge. Besides in the words of Thomas Paine "the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem too lightly."  My sweat and tears will be insignificant compared to what others have shed for me and nothing when compared to the drops of blood that fell from Christ when He ransomed my soul. But if my toils are enough to bring one soul unto God, even if that soul is mine, it will be worth it. I will leave an impression on everyone I see and I hope it will be an impression of warmth and love.

Above all I am going to serve my fellow man and bring joy to their lives, something I cannot do while sitting at home. My knees may ache and my feet may be bloody but there is always someone who needs me more than I need rest. Life will be tough now and then but everything changes so fast and “this too shall pass.” I cannot waste a moment. I will not count success by the number of baptisms I help to bring about, but rather by the lives I touch. I have a testimony of Christ my Redeemer and I know He loves each of His children and wants them to come to him. Therefore I will go forward to wherever God sends me to seek His children and teach them of His love. If I can teach none of Christ I hope to at least teach some of love.

There was no way to deny the confirmation I received with regards to my decision to serve so all those doubts and fears come from the adversary and need not hold sway in my heart. Oh, I am so far from perfect and I know I can never do this on my own, but that is the truly amazing thing for I will never be alone. I have the love of my friends, family and most importantly my Heavenly Father to go with me and buoy me up when things get hard and I know they will.

I will strive to remember the joy I felt as I heard the Prophet calling me to serve, accompanied by the ineffable warm burning within me and the joyful tears which confirmed to me I must heed his call. I have been preparing for so long, and though I may never truly be ready for what lies ahead, I know God will help me through. And so I must remember the reason I was given life: that I might serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment